Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 27: Goodbye to the River

Day 27: Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let me begin by reassuring you that I am writing this today safely in Iquitos.

Last night after I wrote from atop the heap of luggage on the bank of Mira Flores, I went to rest in John’s hammock which he’d hung under a raised hostel.

When I woke up everyone was moving luggage onto a docked launcha. The owners had agreed to let us put all our luggage (and all the team’s bags ;) onboard and hang our hammock since the boat had to be painted and wouldn’t be departing again until Monday.

Just after, I’d hung my hammock over some of the team members sleeping on the floor, Julio returned with the rapido (speed boat). Because he was tired and the boat’s lights were quit working, along with the relatively high level of danger that comes with travelling rapidly on the Amazon River in darkness, he said we would be staying the night on the launcha. I would’ve pictured myself being dismayed but I was perfectly content to stay since I was so tired. Besides, I had my hammock and pillow and was more comfortable than I would have been riding in a boat into the wee hours of the morning.

Everyone started stirring at dawn and quickly packed up their stuff. The couple from Holland, Yola, Mallerin, Magly, Sarah, a mess full of luggage and I boarded the boat. John Short, Daniel, and Rob caught rides in peki-pekis until they could meet up with the returning rapido. Riding in such a fast boat was an exciting experience, a little hairy at times, but mostly just exciting.

In the taxi ride back to the base, we shared a Bimbo and an 8 pack of crackers (this was my only car ride while I was in Peru). At 10:00 or 10:30, we arrived nasty and exhausted in Iquitos.

After a shower, lunch, and a nap, Sarah and I went to eat with the team at the Yellow Rose of Texas, a restaurant in the Plaza that was actually established by a man from Texas. The food was ok, but this group was really fun to hang out with. Ice cream and crowded plaza later, we came back to the base and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment