Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 28: Coming to a Close

Day 28: Monday, July 26, 2010

Something I eat or do when returning to Iquitos always seems to upset my stomach. This morning I woke up at 4 am and couldn’t go back to sleep (maybe I subconsciously missed the jungle noises. Ha!) So at 5:30 I decided it would be acceptable to rise since it was improbable that I would return to sleep. Although it was a foggy and overcast morning, I thoroughly enjoyed sipping my hot mug of cafĂ© on the second story balcony. Just like those moments atop “the hill” in Parras de la Fuente, Mexico, I find it entertaining to watch the city come to life. There was even a man riding his ice cream “cycle” at that early hour. It was also one of the few times this month that I’ve been absolutely alone to spend time with the Lord.

Not long after I’d been out, the couple from Holland, Mark and Hannah, had to leave, so I was glad I was awake to send them off.

I was more than ready for the day when 8:00 came and we had breakfast. The Baltimore team was planning to go to a zoo in the city about 8:45. Sarah and I were planning to go (because it was a different tourist experience than the “river” zoo that I had been to) but they didn’t actually leave until nearly 10 and we had other plans for that afternoon.

As a “we’re all going home” lunch, John Short suggested that the interns and Beth and Clark all go eat saveche (a very Peruvian dish of raw fish). Since my stomach was already somewhat unsettled I went for a less adventurous dish similar to American stir fried rice. It was good.

After lunch, Beth, Sarah, and I had our nails done in Beth’s apartment. The lady will come to your house to do your nails and can paint beautiful designs on them for only s/10 each (about $3). I jokingly told Beth and Sarah that if I lived in Iquitos that I would get my nails done at least every two weeks, but I’d share the gospel and disciple the girl who did it. But seriously if she’ll come to you to do it, it’s an incredible ministry opportunity. I think Beth has started building a relationship with her, because we prayed specifically for a bad situation that Soma’d shared with Beth.

My last dinner at the base consisted of a fried weinny sandwich. Of course, on my last night we went to the Plaza. I finished all my souvenir shopping… I hope. To celebrate, Becky, Sarah, and I ordered a liter bucket of ice cream and put 7 different flavors in it.

I’m a little ashamed to admit this, but we finished our night by watching The Bachelorette. Between Sarah from England and Kerryn from Australia and myself, we mostly just made fun of the show, but enjoyed the entertainment, too!

This time tomorrow, I’ll be somewhere over South America on my way home. As much as I’m ready to see all my family and friends, ministering and living here has kinda become a way of life. I’m a little worried about how I’ll deal with the culture shock. I’m not sure I’m ready to handle rich, selfish Americans and I’m afraid I’ll return to being one.

This past month, I feel like the Lord has been stripping away parts of me that aren’t of Him and things that aren’t beneficial to the Kingdom. In an environment where you “make do” without luxurious things…or even things many Americans would consider absolutely necessary ( such as AC or hot water or even electricity or cars), it’s easier for me to realize that I put entirely too much emphasis on stuff and not people. So coming back to America where it’s “cultural” to always want and strive for more stuff…I guess I’m just realizing that I have to be more intentional about having a less materialistic mindset (by daily renewing my mind in Christ. Romans 12:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment